PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the "Tin Parachute"
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2004, 15:49
Xeque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh MS880's. The first aeroplane I purchased (and the only one) was built in 1964 and had the builders number 64 (I think). I bought her from a Frenchman who worked for BN on the IOW. He had an ASI, altimeter and a ball and slip and a battery alarm clock taped to the top of the panel. He did have a Hamilton compass. That was it . He used to commute back and forth to France in it and occasionally (rumour had it) at night!

She was re-registered G-BKUT and I had the panel rebuilt with a standard "T" plus a VOR and an ADF.

Then I left the UK and went to live overseas (where I still am) and I had to sell her.

I heard later that there had been a landing accident and I have since discovered that she was removed from the register. I presume a write-off. Very sad.

God, I loved that aeroplane. D129 and Aerobatic Flyer. Yes, drop full flap at about 45 knots and the aircraft went up like an express lift. But you had to be quick about getting the nose down, reducing flap and getting the airspeed back up as soon as possible after that.

We always called her a 'tin parasol'. Best wishes to all who still fly this wonderful aeroplane.