PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 8 year years in the East
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2004, 12:01
Lithgow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...t=typhoonpilot

"Don't let one person's opinion make you eliminate Taiwan as a possible place to work."

"Please do the professional pilot community and yourself a favor, go flight instruct, fly checks in the middle of the night, fly skydivers, etc. until you have the qualifications to be hired by an airline. When you become a captain at said airline and have a type rating and experience on type then go looking for work in Asia. Please don't offer to buy yourself a job. It demeans you as a professional and hurts those of us trying to make a living in this business."

The GA path is one way of getting into an airline job. It has its merits, and it is also not the only way into an airline job. There are more efficient ways, in the way that several airlines train ab-initio pilots for their own airline, so are such paths less safe or respectable? The point is, the type rating comes at a cost of either money or time or a combination of both, someone ultimately "pays" for it. Whether it is paid off by working off a bond (whether the bond is fair or not is an altogether separate issue), through a security deposit, from years of experience at some other airline, or the applicant's own money (borrowed or not), are all various ways of "paying" for it.

If I wish to take a gamble and stump up cash for my own rating, how does that demean me as a professional? If you extend your logic, by paying for my own flying school education I am also demeaning myself as a professional.

Also, by your logic I should look for work in Asia only AFTER I become captain WITH a type rating AND (suitable) experience. By whose mandate do you impose these rather strenuous requirements? Why do major airlines in Asia and the rest of the world not comply with your suggestions then?