PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When do TUI'S 735's Arrive At Coventry?
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2004, 22:36
Flightmapping

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skypartners,

April 1st was the DAY after the launch. If anyone has any PEER REVIEWED studies of pollution around UK airports, then I'd be interested to read them. I have heard it said that the biggest PROVEN health risk around airports such as LHR and AMS, where some studies have been done is malaria (http://www.aviation-health.org/Newspage.asp?ArtID=140) - and even for this, you are talking about one case in 20 years.

The key issue when quoting evidence regarding pollution is that such studies must have been published in a reputable scientific journal. It is very easy to chuck stuff on a website and make it look authentic, as CAECA have done on just about every issue regarding the airport.

I have searched the bmj (British Medical Journal) website, and it has no record of any studies on airports since 1994.

I would never deny that some pollution risk must exist from aircraft emmissions, although bearing in mind that pollution from aircraft engines is dispersed in three dimensions rather than two, and roads are much closer to the ground than planes, I would also expect their impact to be that much greater.

Then again, Coventry is not Heathrow and the A45 is not the M25, so I really can't imagine the problem is anywhere near the levels the nimbys would like you to believe.