PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cut Backs - AFBLT Brief
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2004, 22:23
CatpainCaveman

No doubt we are in for a few rough years, but I also sense a light at the end of the tunnel for those with the inclination to hang on in there, and here's my thinking.

The bean-counters and their airships want to cut numbers. Sacking people means pay-offs which means cost, even if they aren't the massive pay-offs from earlier years. Best way to do it -

1. No/limited assimilation at 38/16 and few SSC-PC conversions.
2. Contractorise as much as possible.
3. P*ss people off enough with the general depressing situation
and watch them leave either at their option date or on a PVR.
4. Rationalise with their "stunning" super-base ideas.

I have a gut feeling that as always we will make a cut too far and in combination with the above factors we will be in a situation in 5-10 years time with a need to recruit and promote. For those in main stream operational flying/ops type posts that survive and at Fg Off / Flt Lt level, providing bollocks aren't dropped there's a fighting chance of coming out the other side of this monumentally stupid bit of decision making in one piece.

My suggestion, get yourself in a post that won't disappear - a nice staff job should do the trick as they never get rid of the crap jobs, keep your head down, all bollocks in one piece and ride out the storm.

Last edited by CatpainCaveman; 11th May 2004 at 22:34.