PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stick or throttle?
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2004, 16:01
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's more a philosophical difference than a practical difference. I always teach (as per CFS-trained pilots who taught me and my FI(R) instructor here) control rate of descent with power, speed with attitude. One reason I do so is prevent students trying to stretch the approach, as a stall is about the most dangerous situation at this point. Low and slow is not good, but if you are so low that power is taking you into danger then I suggest a go-around to an inexperienced pilot, an experienced person would instinctively use both at once.

There lies the core of the issue. If I am high, I will reduce power. I know this will tend to reduce my speed, so I lower the nose at the same time to retain approach speed. If I am fast, I will raise the nose. I know this will take me high, so I reduce the power. However if I am low I do not think "raise nose" I think "increase power", so I will not try to stretch an approach and bring the speed low.

In effect height is always controlled primarily using power, and speed primarily with attitude. Giving trial lessons I always control the throttle, the student the control column, and this point becomes obvious. Maybe it helps having flown helicopters!

DrJad

Try the other way around on the ILS. You may well find they suddenly become a lot easier, as this is where the difference is most apparent to me. As described above set the power for the overal ROD, attitude for speed. Small adjustments in glideslope with elevators but if the ROD is wrong then reset the power.

BEagle

I would suggest that on a typical light single point and power is a lot harder to learn than the classic/military technique (I realise that on a slippery jet it can be easier). What do you mean by point? Because of the different attitudes flown depending on flap state, speed of approach (airspeed change for a short-field landing, groundspeed change in different winds) and aircraft type. How do you define when the aircraft is pointed at the threshold? That is without the increased danger that a student may try to stretch the approach and not put on the power if low. For this last reason alone I would feel the need to delay sending students solo until they had proved themselves more thoroughly, just to make sure they don\'t kill themselves.