PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA recruiting - DIRECT ENTRY PILOT SCHEME
Old 11th May 2004, 14:33
Yeovil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Hand,
Unlike others here, I rarely disagee with your posts - and think you offer a fair and reasonable view on many topics.
However - this time if you think BA comprises of a fabulous happy nice bunch of guys - and well worth joining as a a DEP - then you are totally mistaken.!!!

I really hadn’t intended to cause the sort of mil versus cadet conflict that followed my post. I think it was the posts that followed mine were inflammatory and disagreeable.

I must say - I'm glad you posted those few lines again (in your last post ) Starting; One upmanship is the name of the game ........... Because that really sums BA up.

I guess I was just trying to describe the atmosphere at BA for those who might join from other pastures. I don’t think it’s a happy outfit (well not least the Airbus fleet!). I was trying to be as accurate as I could.

Reading my post again, I can’t see anywhere, that I said “ex mil formed better crews than ex BA sponsored cadets”. In fact some of the most “able” and “respected“ of the Airbus training dept’s are ex cadets – ability and technique far exceed any of the ex Navy/Air Force/Army guys. I must also say that the dozen or so biggest and most obnoxious pratts are all ex mil! ( I perhaps omitted this from my post – and apologise for that!)

I had proposed though, that many of the unhappy guys I fly with were BA sponsored (typically between six and twenty five years ago). They seem clueless about the real world and have a downright nasty view of the outside world. They are the type of guys who might miss a couple of radio calls from ATC (we have all done it!) and never apologise!

For some reason, they think they are better than pilots who work at My Travel Ryanair Citiexpress etc . I haven’t figured out why.

Hand; if you enjoy flying with guys on the Airbus fleet – that’s great. (I must try changing my selection of lines because I’m ending up with trips with some complete idiots!). I’m frequently finding lots of issues to disagree over. (fuel being one !). I'll say it again - standards here are definitely poorer than elsewhere. I've witnessed more unsafe events at BA than at any other employer.

So to sum up – if you are thinking of joining please take note – there is a lengthy (15 year??) wait for command ( stated elsewhere !) and in my opinion it’s not generally recognised as a happy place to work. (if Hand is an ex Cadet then don’t forget he has nothing else to compare it too!)