PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA recruiting - DIRECT ENTRY PILOT SCHEME
Old 11th May 2004, 12:06
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God almighty what a pointless pi55ing contest this thread has turned into. Military vs civvie? What a load of arse! I've flown with ex-mil skippers who fly flawlessly and some who can't hold straight and level in a fly-by-wire aircraft with a flight path vector to aid them. Broadly similar for the civvies.

Kurtz

Whilst there ARE some decent guys around in BA, most are exactly as you describe. Our SOPs change on a seemingly daily basis, the extent of the sheer arrogance of the BA guys at all leveles is only matched by the levels of losses that their management has achieved for us
So, your experience is based upon two, maybe three BA managers, and around 80 secondees, which make up about 2.5% of the BA pilot workforce, yet somehow you think you're qualified to comment on the workforce as a whole? Do me a favour. As for the 'incidents we've had', do I correctly recall a thread on here over a year ago regarding a series of tailstrikes on the RJ, all of which were flown by BACX crews? Don't go throwing stones when you live in a very fragile glass house. And just to remind you (and other readers) on the nature of the secondments, the regional bases, routes, aircraft and jobs were BA's, not BACX's. You're lucky to have any of those positions because they should all still be in BA (where they made a profit). If you weren't gifted those positions there'd be 120 of you on the dole right now.

Yeovil

How long have you been in because you seem to have had a run of bad luck.

“One upmanship” is the name of the game. A lot of the Captains take pleasure in pointing out errors or omissions. The atmosphere on the flight deck is rarely pleasant. I’m afraid just too many of the guys are “spoon fed” from uni – sponsored and sadly now cynical about BA. They are frequently pompous, patronising and have an unrealistic view of their own abilities. Pilots here, can be rude to despatchers, colleagues and cabin crew in a way I haven’t witnessed elsewhere. They have no idea what it’s like to work for anyone other than BA.
Can't say I've experienced much one-upmanship apart from a handful of eccentric Captains. Indeed rather than being the "spoon-fed" the worst cases are from the ex-mil types who've spent 10+ years in a jumbo before coming over for a late short haul command. Not to say they're all like that, many of them are excellent. Nor have I ever witnessed a Captain being rude to despatchers, colleagues or cabin crew Curt under pressure perhaps, rude no.

Finally I trust you follow in the fine tradition of the ex-Navy flyers in BA whom I've generally found a pleasure to fly with, but I can tell you that nothing seems to pi55 a civvie Captain off than a co-pilot who insists on telling him how much better the forces and their previous command were.

Poodle:

Remember, our jobs, our bases. The scope clause keeps your grubby little hands off any more of them. We offered you mainline seniority for the RJ pilots, you turned it down.