PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What should I do next to become a pilot.
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2004, 11:23
fernytickles

Life's too short for ironing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Samantha

I am not familiar with the RAF training qualifications, so if I tell you about stuff you have already completed, I apologise in advance. I am not up-to-date on the most current CAA/JAA requirements - a flight school would be able to help you with that. It must be pretty frustrating for you to have come up against this barrier, but whatever you do, don't give up flying. As you can probably tell from this website aviation covers a huge variety of flying career prospects from the military to the airlines to corporate flying to instructing to bush flying in Africa or Canada to flying float planes in the Maldive Islands - I could go on and on. You will never have to say things like "Would you like fries with that" and the view from your office window will be different every time you go to work. The (flying) world is your oyster and to be starting out with the experience you already have is fantastic.
Whatever part of aviation you decide to head for, you will need to get the written exams and flight tests out of the way first. If you haven't done so already, you need to decide where you want to complete your training (UK/USA?) and find a flight school who can help you - I'm sure if you do a search on here you will find no shortage of opinions on who to go to and who to avoid
Once you have got all of that out of the way the really challenging part of finding a job starts. And by the time you get to this point you will have a better idea of the type of flying you want to be involved with. Everyone has different methods and opinions on how to get your toe in the door - just like any job market, but having a well presented CV is a must.

Good luck and have fun!