PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2004, 15:04
meadowbank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Responding to Kilo 52:

You wrote
In my own opinion (and one that is emphasised throughout the entire RAF); if you find yourself IMC at low level there is only one option - which is a max rate climb on a safe heading to Safety Altitude. Continuing to fly towards the Mull would not be my idea of "a safe heading"
This presupposes that they found themselves IMC at low level whilst having control of the aircraft. It is entirely possible that they had already tried very hard to avoid the aircraft flying them into IMC and were trying very hard to climb away from the granite-stuffed murk when they impacted the ground. The point is, and it's been made lots of times, that we shall never know what happened on that day and it is therefore unsafe in the extreme to arbitrarily decide that the accident was the fault of the pilots. There are several other possible causes and the more I think about them, the less likely it seems that the pilots were to blame. Pilot error is, indeed, a possibility, but is far from being the certainty that was required to find them negligent.

This finding of negligence must be quashed and those of us fighting in places other than this thread will eventually force this to happen.