PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407
Thread: Bell 407
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2004, 14:51
francois marais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiya Lu, I enjoyed your story.

I know the said helicopter, the company, the pilots that work there, and the pilot involved in this particular incident. They're all good guys, very professional, and there is no way that the pilot involved here, will bullsh1t his way thru this one.

Bell are not being honest here. Simple! There is a major problem with their 407, and they don't wanna know. There is NO reason whatsoever, not in normal conditions or in gusty conditions, for the tail rotor to connect with the boom during flight or shut down. Irrespective of what Bell are saying, and/or what they are publishing in the manual.

When the first 407 incident occurred, Bell were quick to issue AD's and IL's and implimented a number of "limitations". Vne limitations, Vop limitations, pedal limitations..... et al. Some pilots, with thousands of hours of experience, came to the conclusion that the 407 was a stretched version of the Long Ranger, with 4 blades and a heap more power. No major design changes to the fuselage, and expressed no surprise when something went wrong the first time.

Bell is quick to blame the pilot, but I can assure you, you may think that we are all stupid Mr. Bell & Co, we are not. We view your helicopter with sceptism and wonder what fabrication you will come up, next time someone dies in a 407. Pilot error no doubt!