PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iraq - is there ANY hope?!?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2004, 05:46
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have been people commenting on the Iraqi situation with views that cover the whole spectrum, from Grandpa at the one extreme to Bubbette at the other. Neither camp seems well disposed to let the other’s arguments or opinions move them one millimetre from their entrenched mental bunkers.

Could I suggest that people from both camps do themselves an enormous favour and read something that might shatter their illusions, particularly those who think that democracy can be imposed on a society not ready for it? The Coming Anarchy : Shattering the Dreams of the Post Cold War by Robert D. Kaplan.

Some Ppruners might remember I mentioned this book some years ago on the now defunct Current Affairs Forum (or whatever it was called) on Pprune. Why The US Government wasn’t – isn’t - listening to this man is totally beyond me, for he makes such perfect sense it’s scary to see the leadership of the US going in what amounts to the opposite direction in their pursuit of a peaceful solution to the morass they’ve got themselves into in Iraq.

Perhaps it is because Kaplan was associated with the Clinton Administration - I don’t know. However, I do know that I blame the Clinton Administration as much as I do the Bush people for the mess the US is in in Iraq (and let’s face it, worldwide) today. If Clinton had responded appropriately to the first Al Qaeda attacks instead of pussyfooting around and running, (as he did from Somalia), at the first sign of US casualties, the leadership of Al Qaeda would have got the message that there is a price to be paid for attacking the US. Instead, they saw what they construed to be weakness and upped the ante, just as the Iraqi ‘insurgents’ will until the US reacts appropriately – in Arab eyes, which means with extreme force – to the anarchy that is taking over the streets of Iraq.

Whatever happens, the US is going to be hated in the Arab world. If you’re going to be hated, let it be as a winner.

Advertising is NOT allowed