PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement Age
Thread: Retirement Age
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2004, 01:05
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the US, the mandatory retirement age is 60 for Part 121 pilots. This was mandated by a former FAA administrator and retired USAF general, whose name escapes me at the moment, and was used to military retirement and thought anyone should be able to retire by 50 or so. He was greatly assisted by ALPA members, who wanted to push out senior pilots, not grasping that they would one day be in the same position of being forced to retire before they were ready.

For all others, there is no age limit, including astronauts. I'll retire when I can no longer pass a flight physical, which could be any day. That's the part of the job I most fear - having a health problem that would be a minor inconvenience for someone in almost any other occupation, but permanently puts me out of work. There may be companies which provide retirement for their pilots, but I know of none. I'm contributing the maximum to my 401(k) plan, but it was instituted far too late to ever provide sufficient income for me and my wife to live on comfortably.