PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots falling asleep BEFORE they report.
Old 9th May 2004, 23:10
Anti-ice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I quite agree with the topic of this thread.

I think in many ways BA is to blame for this , especially with what i call the 'LGW displacement effect'

5-6 years ago BA at LGW was a busy happy place teeming with 767s,DC10s,747s,737s etc........
Alot of people were employed there , and lived reasonably locally , Surrey, the coast and so on....

Gatwick is now a ghost of its former self BA wise, with 10 777s and a handful of 737 destinations.

Of course,handfuls of the staff have had to go to LHR in the process.
Most cannot afford/have no desire to live in London and so have to commute , many daily.

I have a 40mile drive, but that is short compared to many, plus the effects of the M25 with frequent delays / traffic jams.

I think people should live a reasonable distance.... they stand more chance of being reasonably rested prior to their duty, and less chance of being late causing disruption.
As for some of the 'commuters' who leave it till the last minute to fly in from wherever - well they ask for all the trouble they can get if they leave things too late

In no way do i berate LGW, as for those of us who were previously based there - we would do anything to come back, if it was the thriving base it was mid-90's