PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2004, 13:57
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have to admit to not seeing this, but it was sent to me by Mike Tapper. Article written by James Goffin from The Sun, dated 5 May.

Squadron Banned from Memorial

The Ministry of Defence was last night accused of being "vindicative and disgraceful" in banning an RAF squadron from attending a memorial service for four colleagues killed in action.

Four RAF crew and 25 anti-terrorism experts died in June 1994 when their Chinook helicopter crashed on the Mull of Kintyre.

Families and friends are holding a memorial service to mark the 10th anniversary of the tragedy, but Mike Tapper, whose son Flight Lt Jonathan Tapper was one of the two pilots killed in the crash, says his son's colleagues have been banned from attending the service.

"I have had calls from RAF Odiham, where Jonathan's colleagues are based, and they have been told that no one from No 7 Squadron will be attending the service," said Mr Tapper, who lives at Burnham Market.

"It is a basic tenet of the armed services that they honour their dead. I think it is part of the culture of the MoD under this Secretary of State that things like this happen. It is very upsetting for us and for Jonathan's colleagues."

The circumstances surrounding the crash have been contentious since a 1995 RAF board of inquiry ignored its own initial findings and found Flight Lt Tapper and co-pilot Flight Lt Rick Cook guilty of gross negligence.

A subsequent civil inquiry by Paisley Sheriff Sir Stephen Young and three parliamentary inquiries have all called for that verdict to be overturned, but the Government has refused to budge.

Mr Tapper said: "The MoD claims the memorial service is being used as a campaigning tool, but it is about remembering the 29 people that died.

"It seems that an unworthy coalition of middle-ranking officials has made a knee-jerk reaction."

Last night, former Conservative defence minister James Arbuthnot called on the MoD to explain its actions.

"I was minister at the time of the board of inquiry and defended the report in the House of Commons, but I now feel I have no choice but to speak out against it. Every piece of evidence has shown that it is wrong," he said.

"If it is true that the squadron is not being allowed to go, it is an extremely shameful thing to do. That they may not even be able to remember their friends that were killed in the service of their country is vindictive and disgraceful. These were two pilots at the top of their game."

A spokeswoman for the MoD last night said plans for the memorial service had yet to be confirmed, but would not deny that service personnel at RAF Odiham had been told they could not attend.

"I do not want to get into what has or hasn't been said. We have been told that the details have not yet been finalised, and it is something being run by the families rather than a military affair," she said. "If the squadron wanted to go and all the relatives are OK with that, we would not object."

A private ceremony will be conducted at Odiham on June 2 by the base padre for service personnel.
End

I would certainly hope that individuals are given the freedom of choice over such a sensitive issue. May I point out, again, that these memorials are nothing to do with the campaign. We may be organising a few of them, but we have enough compassion and dignity to separate the two issues. I find it deeply offensive that the MoD try to score such cheap points over this issue.

Anyone with an interest is welcome to attend - irrespective of your opinion of what happened. Let us just meet, to pay our respects to 29 individuals who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

My best to you all, as always.
Brian

(No usual quote - to try to prove a point to the MoD)