PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what do you want from S/H B-class?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2004, 05:26
Final 3 Greens

If one defines short haul as <4 hours, then I don't think business class is worth paying for, period.

The difference in sea pitch available, typically 2", does not provide the quantum leap between economy and business on long haul services, that would justify the enormous leap in cost.

I believe that C is bought on short haul generally as a status thing and the smart way to save a fortune is:

- get a FF card with online check in capability - that beats the Y queue at the airport, as you can go straight to the fast bag drop, having checked in the day before and selected a nice seat near the rear of C class, quite likely with an extra 2" pitch.

- fly on A32x aircraft, whose Y seats are significantly wider than B73x

- get a Priority Pass card and enjoy lounge access - if you fly regularly (say 85 sectors per year, paying GBP249 is actually slightly cheaper than buying one drink at GBP3.00 per sector in the airport cafe!)

From recent experience....

I flew Europe Select on a 737 with KLM last week (allegedly business class) and received a small ham/cheese sandwich, a yoghurt and tiny bowl of fruit as "breakfast" on an 0840 departure. The business class seat was a little narrow, only slightly wider than Y. Fortunately, the ticket was paid for by my client, but I thought that this effort was quite disgraceful considering the cost of the fare.

Later on in the week, I flew late evening on BA domestic (one class) from EDI to LHR on a 319. Online check in the day before, got 9F (emergency exit, with loads of legroom), nice wide seat, Priority Pass access to the Servisair lounge at EDI for a wee dram and then enjoyed a small, but very nice salad on board with a mini bottle of red wine.

The second ticket was literally a fraction of the price of the first.

Even though I am spending others budgets, sensibly planned economy wins for me and when I fly with CSA, then upgrade me to C as a matter of course, through my Skyteam Elite status... and do decent food, KLM please note :-)