PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement Age
Thread: Retirement Age
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2004, 14:00
Mr Toad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HeloTeacher, you're about right on the age.

Last year after a lifetime of cheating both the training captains and the doctors around the world I was forcibly separated from the most important part of a helicopter pilot's life - his monthly paycheck. This was from a "scheduled airline" operation. Different Authorities follow different rules (otherwise how could they employ so many experts?); some follow Icao, some follow FAA and some CAA; in Asia CASA is gaining influence.

I was flung out at 63 (still happily doing 840 hours per annum); ruefully I admit it makes way for younger guys and girls but that's no compensation to a helicopter pilot who almost certainly contributed more to his employer's retirement "schemes" than his own. Maxwell and so on, you all know the score.

However there's no medical reason for this, nor do accident statistics support the practice of early retirement; employers tend to use the age factor as a means of re-shuffling the pilots. The older ones tend to be less easy for management to lean on. Perhaps someone who knows something about airline insurance can throw light on any economic factors.

Luckily this happened at a time when I was still young enough to start again; but I really suggest you all bear in mind that you MUST PLAN for the worst, just as in the cockpit. But I don't subscribe to the word "retirement"

By the way HeloTeacher I never had much of a memory anyway; thats why I flew "choppers" not real planes. And loved every minute of it.

Hi Peter, keep up the good work while it lasts, follicles or not.

Right on, Ascend Charlie!