PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what would you do different
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2004, 11:22
Flight Detent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Will'fly'380,
I think the question goes much more basic than that.

I know its an old story, but it certainly remains true.

If that had been a DC10, I know from past experience the Flight Engineer would have literally torn out the overhead soundproofing material with whatever he had at hand, and used every portable fire extinguisher on the aircraft on it.
Also, he would'nt have waited for the smoke to get serious to start a serious investigation of the area in question.

Would have been insisting the aicraft be put on the ground 'now' regardless of practically anything else, selected all three generators off, and confirmed standby power automatically came on. And whilst the Captain was heading for 'the nearest', he would have been reminding the FO of what was needed on arrival (in the way of emerg. equipment) for his radio 'mayday' call.

Since I have been in a situation similar to that, I do know what a good FE will do!
And that, gentlemen, is use practical and common sense!!

As I've been saying for some time now, 2 man flight decks are great when everything is going OK, but if it's not, there are not enough hands or experienced people available, as shown many times in the recent past.

Cheers