PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Pilot - My Chances?
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2004, 21:39
Camp Freddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys,

I started from scratch several years ago, and now fly twins offshore in the UK. formerly was a flight instructor and then commercial pilot on singles

my personal advice is like this

1. if all you can afford is a basic CPL-H dont do it, you wont get hired £40k spent for no purpose.

2. you must get an instructor rating to keep the hours rolling to at least 1000 P1 to give you a chance of other things about £20k including extra hourbuilding on top of CPL i.e £60k total

no disrespect but you are still a very baby pilot with 200 hours and noone will pay you to ruin a straightforward charter unless you sitting next to an experienced captain i.e. offshore (and they aint hiring at present. and when they do they are going to take people with instrument ratings first) which brings me to point 3.

3. if you dont want to do an instructor rating then do an instrument rating puts you nearer to the top of the list for an offshore job when these become available, but this is expensive (£30k) and high risk. you could spend £70k and still have no job.

if you dont get into the military dont be a dummy and read my lips, GET AN INSTRUCTOR RATING ! got it??