PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 - Use of 2 APs on Cat 1 Approach
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2004, 11:19
Maximum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why should you not do an AUTOLAND CAT I?.
No reason at all - for example obviously you do autoland's in CAT 1 sometimes to satisfy currency requirements or engineering requirements.

Buttline's original question was actually about the go-around situation by the way.

As for SOP's, the only point I was making was that all crews should be aware of how to operate and what is considered good operating practice by the airline, in lets face it, what is a very common area of the operation - an approach down to CAT 1 minima. I'm sure we've all flown for airlines where the SOP's are less than clear, and every single pilot has their own way of doing something. Not a good situation.

I'll also re-state, though not a problem in itself, if the crew perform an autoland in actual CAT 1 conditions, using a CAT 1 ILS without LVP's in force, then they must be aware that they only have CAT 1 protection. ie, the possibility of a deviation off the centreline below 200' must be expected more than on a CAT 2 or 3 approach.

Now before everyone starts shouting, I know that the crew will be visual below DA/DH, and can monitor the A/P performance, so basically no problem. However we are talking of the case of actual CAT 1 limits, so marginal vis etc. So a slightly different situation to a normal practice autoland. A kind of subtle environmental capture can occur, because the viz is fairly low, where the crew forget they don't have the LVP protection they would normally have on a CAT 2/3 approach, and are therefore taken more by surprise if the aircraft starts drifting off the centreline.

Not a huge problem on the whole, as it usually works out fine, but just a small point I've seen some people not being entirely aware of.