PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Pilot - My Chances?
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2004, 08:36
rsmeardon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I,m in a similar situation to the bloke just leaving school. I have around 20hrs on helicopters. The prospect of 3 or more years at uni doesn't appeal to me, nor does the prospect of signing my self up for a similar amount of time. I'm lucky my brother runs a small helicopter flying school in Trinidad and is willing to pay for me to get a CPL and possibly an instructor rating on top. This is at least 2 yrs work I believe. At the end of it I may not get a job out of it and so at the same time I am going to do an apprenticeship so I will have somthing to fall back on and will be able to support myself.

I asume as you are the same age as me that your parents are supporting your flying. If they are willing to pay for your CPL your very lucky, you could become an instructor afterwards but the pay is pretty crap! If not you will have to find a very well payed job to support yourself and the flying, therfore as far as I can see its the forces or leave flying for a few years and get a decent education at uni and hopefuly find a well paid job at the end of it. The third option is to do what my instructor suggested to me is to do your CPL in one go, I suppose this shows committment to flying and the ability to work diligently, therefore setting you out from the crowd.

The best advice I have got is from people who have been there and done it, speak to your instructor, speak to the armed forces careers advisors (their not as scary as I thought) and as other people have said think long term, life is long so make the most of it.

Good luck for whatever you choose