PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side-slipping
Thread: Side-slipping
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2004, 05:09
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SC

If you re-read my earlier post I said that a spin is very unlikely but possibly not impossible whilst slipping. I said this as I believe aeroplanes can always do the unexpected! However, in my experience which is based wholly on gliders and light aircraft, it really would be nigh on impossible to induce a spin whilst slipping ... I've tried and failed on several types. You mention your experience in the HR200 and then say that whilst the control imputs were the same you weren't slipping. What were you doing? if these imputs are put in quickly with a sharp up elevator at the same time, you almost have a flick roll entry, albeit with opposite aileron to normal (which could easily be overcome with powerful rudder and engine torque). In a nicely established intentional slip you have a lot of control and plenty of "feel" which makes the whole thing very controlled. Referance to your ASI is irrellevent as you should fly by attitude in a slip and teach your students the same. If you maintain the same attitude as you were flying pre slip, you will have already built in a safety element. To use a slip to it's full potential though, a higher nose up attitude is required and is still IMHO safe.

Why is TonyR's use of slipping to get into a strip unusual? Most farmstrip flyers and others use slipping for this very purpose frequently.

I'm sorry but I really think that mixing the words slipping, banking near the ground and spinning is inappropriate and could encourage a student/PPL to disregard this useful tool as too unsafe. He/she may then get used to using S turns to loose height in a poorly judged approach. These things tend to balloon at times of stress such as engine failures or even PFL's. It doesn't take much then to end up with an over ruddered skidding turn for fear of banking close to the ground. Now that really IS a SPIN senario!!!

SS