PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side-slipping
Thread: Side-slipping
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2004, 11:56
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I have not come before to clarify the points put to me.

Good day to you, Paulo sir, I am not often here and even less so when I am busy as I have been!

High Wing

Yes, I fly from Bournemouth, and have access to PA-28s (140 to 180), C-152/C-172 and Robin HR200 or DR400 to fly. Would be delighted to help a fellow PPRuNer to improve aviation safety, as many here have done so for me.

TonyR

I agree that if the speed is kept high with no flap then it would be pointless to sideslip into your field. However there are two points: (i) you are using sideslip for an unusual purpose - it is mostly used for adjusting a glide approach or for crosswind landings (I never teach it for the latter; "maintain the runway centreline with co-ordinated use of rudder and pedals") and (ii) the reason I emphasise keeping speed up is because this is a public forum where my advice can be misinterpreted, and speed is a safety factor.

While speed should not be allowed to drop and in theory should rise a little due to the tilted lift vector, in reality angles of bank in the slip are not often high, and speed need only be increased fractionally. However for safety this must be practised a fair amount at high altitude first, as a stall in the slip can cause a spin or at least severe wing drop. Depending on the spin characteristics crossed controls can give complimentary pro-spin input.

This happens at a time when the ASI is unreliable. With a lot of practice you can feel your way all the way down to just above the stall, but get the practice in with plenty of height and an instructor if you feel the need.

Shortstripper

I disagree about the likelihood of spin. While I agree not all aircraft will, some may. Notice that in, for example, a slip left-wing-down, the aircraft has right rudder, the right aileron is down, increasing AoA. You are quite right that the slip and dihedral decrease the AoA of the right wing compared with the left, but we still have a higher AoA near the tip, due to the aileron. Therefore the exact balance of the aircraft comes into play. So the right wing may tip stall, or the wings produce even moments at the stall, with (full) right rudder. These are the conditions for the spin, I had a Robin HR200 go incipient when a student put in similar control inputs, although not from the sideslip.