PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ahhhh Austerrrrrrrrrr (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2004, 11:05
Grob Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auster’s and their engines!

Hello.

I could post this in the Auster section of the forum, but I don’t want it to get lost in amongst all the posts!

I was hoping to fund an AOP 9 but after a lot of looking and a fair amount of research, I’ve decided that it’s not the best Auster for me! So, I’m looking at something like an Auster 5 or AOP 5. However depending on who you talk to determines what advice you get. I was told to avoid Gypsy Major aircraft on the fact that they are expensive to run. So, I thought the Lycoming powered Auster 5 would be ideal. I’ve now been ‘advised’ to avoid the Lycoming powered Auster’s. I’m lead to believe that the old Lycoming engine is hard to find parts for having being made from converted ground power units.

Can people with Auster experience please post their thoughts on engine choice for this aircraft? Also is there anyone out there who regularly flies an Auster 5 who can give me some advice / opinions. Do you have trouble with the engine or spares?

Finally, fuel / oil burn. Does anyone have some realistic figures for fuel burn for the different engines?

This will be a big step for me… I have to make the right choice!

Thank you all very much

Grob Driver
(soon to be Auster Driver!)