PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - so long and thanks
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2004, 22:38
Lon More

More than just an ATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments; i am sure in a number of cases that paths have crossed.
Back in 1966 I was at school in Luton - a year ahead of Martyn Cooper and Crum - and won an RAF Flying Scholarship at Fred Pinchin's Flying Circus - Phil Jeffrey, Delphine Grey-Fisk amongst other unlucky instructors were unlucky enough to meet me. A month later with a fresh PPL in my pocket I thought the airlines would be dying to snatch me up, unfortunately aviation was going through a period of depression - one of my colleague car park attendants at Luton was an ex-Cyprus Airlines pilot. So, with an attitude deemed unacceptable to the RAF, I drifted into ATC towards the end of 1967. With the exception of a couple of months at NMU Gatwick - with Daphne, Peter Undewood-Ground and John Dancer - I spent the next couple of years there and at Sopley - Cheese and Ham and Peter Green as room mates. Then moved to Euro in 1970, in Ab-Initio Nr. 1 at Luxembourg - great bunch of dedicated instructors - Bob Cheyne, Brian Greenhaugh, Tony Doyle and others, mostly gone now. Then via ScATCC for a period to Maastricht where I have remained since
In the past few years I was involved in the Operational Transfer Group preparing the new system at Maastricht and also in a number of simulations -presumably on the grounds that if I could understand it, anyone could.

Unfortunately the past few years i have been suffering from increased tiredness, initally put down to a family history of narcolepsy but now diagnosed as being a life long sufferer of Sleep Apneu. Nowdays probably wouldn't get into the job!

4-3-3 That was a fun day

ATCW Ecossais, pas d' Irlandais

Zed Not many off us left mate

Thanks again to one and all, I see I was gone officially one day and D3 made it into the newspapers