PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IOT 211 Cancelled
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2004, 21:37
Time Bandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IOT, the future's bright

After graduating Uni, and finishing UAS in June a coupla years ago, I awaited my IOT date set for late Summer that year...as I had an assurance of Grad Direct Entry GD(P). I waited and waited, got letter after letter informing me that I had been shifted to the next IOT, with no explanation, and of course no compensation. Bursary? Didn't get one of the three on offer, but even if I would have, £1000 is a joke!

After essentially "holding", working as a cashier in a shop for months on peanuts, I was finally given late notice to go on Feb IOT. Would this have happened 20 - 30 years ago? I'd be interested to find out.

Not the way to treat future Officers/Aircrew.

As for a 9 month IOT? Not necessary if you screen applicants at OASC properly for the right attributes. Tightening up screening won't happen because the recruitment crisis would deepen. So they take a number of less suitable applicants and push them through. The RAF doesn't have an adequate supply of high calibre candidates... but to discuss why would warrant another thread!

An old QFI of mine spoke of attending IOT for 12 weeks in the early 60s.

On the bright side, I hear new accommodation is on the cards for BIM, and No. 1 mess is to be scrapped, when they get the budget for it. Cadets on 4556 IOT have got much to look forward to..........