PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career in the RAF.
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2004, 18:12
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PILOT?

Are you sure that the degree of short-sightedness prevents acceptance for pilot? Search the site for info and check.

Short-sightedness shouldn't be a barrier to commercial employment, and there are schemes for a lucky few.

I don't know enough about DE WSO to offer an opinion, but there are plenty on the site that will.

I suspect that joining on the ground (eng?) will ultimately leave you frustrated if flying is your thing, but with a degree in Aeronautical Eng I would think you stand a reasonable chance. Promotion prospects are pretty good as an Eng Officer, and should leave you with cash (and facilities depending on your location) to make flying a hobby.

Fighter Control offers a route for some to crew duties on the E-3D, but can take 3-4 years at the moment because there is no direct entrant scheme for E-3D rear crews.

If your eyesight turns out not to be a limiting factor, you will need to work on your story if you are to stand a chance of getting through the Interview Board. Whilst I suspect lack of cash is a reason many would-be pilots join the services, it is unlikely to go down well at OASC Cranwell as the sole reason for the application!!

Whatever you decide, good luck!