PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNF supervising fueling - a cost saving too far?
Old 5th May 2004, 14:11
buttline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PNF supervising fueling - a cost saving too far?

Several Low Cost airlines have refused to pay the 10 Euro charge for the fuel guy to supervise (i.e. operate the fuel valves) during fueling at Spainish airports.

This means the PNF has to supervise the fueling for practically the entire duration of a 30min turnaround. Some fuelers will even stop pumping fuel if you try and do the walkround once you've closed the center tank valve and are waiting for full wings auto shutoff.

It's quite nice sometimes, standing out in the sun practicing my pidgeon Spanish with the fuel guy but I'd rather be in the flightdeck observing the PFs setup of the FMC and MCP and studying the SID and departure info.

There simply isn't enough time to supervise fueling, do the walkround and cross-check the FMC entered position and routing in 30 mins in my opinion. During line training with a PF who's never flown that route before the hazzards are obvious.

Anyone else feel this is a cost cut too far with potentially dire consequences to crew situational awareness?