PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA recruiting - DIRECT ENTRY PILOT SCHEME
Old 5th May 2004, 09:23
BA_jumbo_SFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree WWW is a bullsh*t artist.

Now for a serious question on the impact of the European Law on outlawing discrimination on the grounds of age or disability:

I am an SFO with BA. Progression up the seniority list is based on either expansion, or retirement. That is, when one person retires, we all move up the list by one number.

When I joined the company I could reasonably expect to retire at age 55, having achieved a command at some suitable stage. One could "plan" a career on this basis.

As I understand it, the Legislation must be in place by late 2006. BA has not said when it will raise the retirement age, but JH has said he expects it to happen in about September of 2006.

If things stand as they are today, I would have the seniority for a jumbo command in 2007 or 2008. If the retirement age is lifted, and a large number of pilots remain on their current types past age 55, there will be no progression up the seniority list, for up to 5 years.

Will I have any grounds for legal, or any other action?

BALPA seem to have their collective heads in the sand, trying to avoid taking either side.

Any thoughts?