PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A couple of descent/landing questions that a very kind 737 pilot could answer
Old 5th May 2004, 07:57
alexban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can make very nice landings on the 737. Some hints:
try to mantain speed on target on final.Do not fully retard throttles above 10',you can keep some thrust even to contact.Follow the FCTM and look ahead when you pass the threshold,this will help a lot.
Bellow 200 ' you can start checking the outside view,but not abandon the instruments.This will help you accomodate faster with the plane position and rate of descent and also avoid eventual bellow GS incursions.
The classic is easier to land than the NG due to wing characteristics.
Also the NG has a taller landing gear,so don't wait too much to flare bellow 10' otherwise you'll slam on the deck. I saw these hapening to all pilots that made transition from classic to NG.
You can start reducing ROD at 20'-30' ,not to much though,or you'll fly over the rwy like a glider,and be forced to make corrections that will eventually spoil your nice landing.
Sometimes a good ,positive landing is better than a very smooth,long one.For a begginer I won't recommand the effort to land very smoothly at airports with lot of traffic (or you'll see someone going around over you) or with short rwys. Just be on target,speed and ILS and do a positive one.Brake and exit as fast and safe as possible.
I hope this helps.
Brgds Alex