PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nicotine patch - worse than smoking?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2004, 01:13
BlueDiamond

Bluey

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts
Good luck with it, icemaiden. When I decided to give up the weed last year, I spent some time designing my plan of attack. I decided which day it would be and which aids I would use. Not only did that give me time to get used to the idea, I began to actually look forward to having that last cigarette.

I used the 24 hour patches as opposed to the 16 hour ones and did the full three month course exactly according to instructions. Because there is never a time when you are not getting a little nicotine "drip-feed", you never get much by way of withdrawal symptoms etc. and I found this great.

For times of absolute desperation, I also used a nicorette inhaler ... this is not recommended because of "the possibility of a nicotine overdose." They were joking right? Like someone who had been smoking 60 a day would get nicotime poisoning from a patch + inhaler!!

Anyway, that programme worked very well for me and by the time I was using the third-stage patches, I was well on my way to being "smoke-free." It's just over a year now since I had my last one and I don't really have any inclination to start again. There are still times when I feel I would love to have one but even my brother who gave up 11 years ago still gets the odd wish for one so I'm not too put off by that.

Good luck with it.