PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lung Fuction Test
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2004, 03:06
BankAngle50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers
BA Hi FD

I went to my normal doctor today and told him about this test. He didn’t believe that the test was correct considering my history and general condition. He listened to my heart, lungs and gave me a quick general look-over. All seemed well. I then blew into this tube with a slider thing on it. I blew 650 (many times) on this scale with no problems. He said that was excellent for my age (31, 90KGs, male). I then blew into the machine that measures lung volume and he said it was approx. 5 litres plus.

He seemed quite sure that given these results that there was no way my lung function is 70% peak. He said with 650 on that scale that it was 100% or close enough to that. He asked me about the machine I did the original test on. It was a computer type with no sliding scale and it spits out a printed slip at the end of 3 goes. My doctor said that machine is faulty and either your technique was wrong on the day. If I had 70% lung function apparently you would really know it.

How can these two results be so different?

Can I assume that if I have 5 litres of lung and that I can blow 650 on that slider thing, that my lungs are indeed find for holding a class one. My doctor said it was a great result.

Im confused!! But i guess im now OK??

Cheers
BA