PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Jobs
Thread: Airport Jobs
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2004, 15:17
SAM 2M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a Despatcher at LGW in the late 80s prior to doing my CAP509 course. After graduating in Mar 91 went back to Despatching until a J31 airline job came up. 9 years after being a despatcher I was a B757 Captain.

The Despatching experience was invaulable and I have used the knowledge gained many times. The insight into how, when and why things can go wrong on the ramp during a turn round is very useful. For example when the computersised check-in and weight and balance (DCS) system goes down having to quickly do my own loadsheet has no fears!

Furthermore the knowledge gained in Ops has been very useful in spotting re-routes to avoid a slot delay.

Also when you are 1 passenger down at the gate on a 233 seat B757 that means that more than 99% have read all the signs and made it -perhaps a long way down the pier- on time. Not bad as an average performance. Despatching experience and knowledge helps you stay on top of things. It also helps you keep things in perspective.

As far as qualifications are concerned most people doing the job do not have anything specific as it is a 'learn as you go job'. Also many Flight Crews do not realise that you will nearly always be understaffed and could be overseeing several flights at once. Crews would sometimes -out of lack of understanding- ask me where the @@@ I had been. It can be tough at times with long hours. I always vowed that if I became flight deck crew I would always look after ground crew.

However whilst I was a Despatcher I did the City & Guilds 7282 Course called the 'Advanced Certificate in Operations & Flight Despatch' The course was held at the Redhill Tech. Dept. of Aviation Studies.

The course was very interesting and covered Flight Watch, Met, Performance A, Flight Planning & Safety, Load Control/Weight & Balance and Route Planning. It certainly made much of my CPL study that was then yet to come much easier. I would recommend this course if it is still available. It is also good for the CV. Remember that when you get your fATPL it is a huge achievement but everyone in the running has one.

SAM 2M

Last edited by SAM 2M; 3rd May 2004 at 21:42.