PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should passengers practice emergency evacuations?
Old 2nd May 2004, 20:16
Paracab

Nice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A reaonable idea, but highly impracticle.

So many variables in every crash situation make it nigh on impossible to practice with realism anyway and just consider a few of the other reasons that airlines/pax etc would find NOT to do this, for example...

Insurance issues, having very young children with you, health and safety issues created by practicing evacuation, aircraft out of service whilst the drill is carried and then checked for damage etc, intoxicated pax, having to get all of the hand luggage off afterwards, the list is endless.

I appreciate that some of these factors would create problems in a real emergency, however these are thankfully so rare that I doubt that any benefit gained would be worth it.

Why not have the passengers practice evacuations from a small percentage of flights upon landing?
What is the likelihood of this small percentage of passengers that have experienced the drill being involved in the very small percentage of real emergencies that actually occur ? I would say almost none.

The only option I can think of is a voluntary course you could attend if so desired on evacuation, to enhance ones chance of survival.