PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Eagle - And 'Global Beagle - Around Britain in a Virtual Autogyro'
Old 2nd May 2004, 16:46
Global Eagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have followed this thread from the beginning and up until today never really felt the need to post. As Barry has finally got around to reading it and posting his own thoughts I thought it about time I did.

This project has had a lot of ups and downs, sadly too many downs for my liking and it's just a fact of life that people will form an opinion on just about anything. The fact is that as a team we have dealt with it and concentrated on a common aim. Some of my closest friends are serious doubters about the expedition succeeding, some openly declare it and others choose to say it after i've walked out of the door, after the smile and the "good luck".

I do feel that it is maybe time to answer a few questions that I know have been raised here. There's no better place to start than at the beginning so here goes:

Will the expedition leave on time?

Sadly not, the explanations for the various delays we had have been posted on our website and I for one know that they have been painfully honest. There really was nothing to gain from leaving late, it makes the trip more hazardous, particularly in the areas of Myanmar, Lao etc.

Will clearances really have been given?

No. I answer that one assuming you mean dip/pol clearances. As of today we still require clearances to fly through Russia, China and Canada. Also Denmark have asked for more information before allowing overflight of Greenland. We are working very closely in conjunction with Embassy staff to gain these clearances and poor Tina is working her fingers off to smooth the way. If the next question is "why go then", it's easy, the fact we are on the move creates publicity and hopefully positive publicity will help our efforts..as it already has for Saudi, Oman, Myanmar etc etc For instance; we were told on day one that clearance for China would not be given until 3 days before entry. Unless we started in Rangoon it would be difficult to ever get going!

Will the backup be sufficient?

If you mean ground support from team members then all I can say is that the support will be the best we can give with the financial constraints we have. To say that finance is limited would be an understatement. Barry is paying for his fuel, food, overflight costs and landing fees out of his own pocket, thats after paying for a certified aircraft. The backup that we are getting from Embassy staff has been brilliant and the offers of help from all over the world are coming in thick and fast. I noticed another comment earlier that said shouldn't fuel, accomodation etc have already been arranged. The short answer is yes and it has in most cases, but it hasn't been paid for. From Oman Barry is effectively on his own until Nome, Alaska.

Will the aircraft itself return with it's wheels?

Maybe, maybe not. Or maybe not the ones it left with. I'll ask the audience.

Why aren't they converting to Apache?

Easy one this. I'm too old and too stupid. Barry's eyesight isn't good enough. Wayne is a groundcrewman and hopefully will fly Apache one day. Andy and Lee are engineers and probably don't want to. Tina already has a job in Netheravon. Keith and Stu don't have enough time left to serve. Nige went off to fly with the Blue Eagles. Euan and Pete D are currently at Middle Wallop converting to Apache. Paul wanted to go QHI so returned to flying.

Are our taxes still paying for the teams wages?

Yes they are and can I take this opportunity to thank you all. On a more serious note you should bear in mind that the team has visited over 200 schools in the UK, nearly all financed by ourselves. You might find that this has been cheaper (and possibly more effective) than many recuiting teams. That said, we all appreciate the opportunity given to us.

Does the CO 9AAC still wash his hands of the enterprise?

The now Ex CO 9 Regt is our Project Officer. Enough said on that one.

If anyone has any questions then please feel free to ask away, give us a call on Dishforth 4533 (01423 321533) or send any of the team an e-mail.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at PPRUNE for their support, especially those that have taken the trouble to visit, and silsoesid for generating this thread. I DO NOT believe that there is no such thing as bad publicity but on the other hand I DO believe that everyone has the right to an opinion, and to voice it.

Best wishes

Pete Taylor
GE2004