PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iraq - is there ANY hope?!?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2004, 00:54
CatpainCaveman

There's nothing wrong with the theatre uniform, unless you're talking about the green webbing straps - which we all had as desert webbing is bloody difficult to get gold of unless you come from certain units or are sleeping with a stacker! And the sling clips are on the left of the weapon which you can't see.

However, I must commend their unit SNCOs - if all their 4-tonners and weapons are as clean as that after x months in the desert, then they can come and teach my lads how to keep their kit that clean in the UK. And did they have a sun roof in the back to let so much light in? Or was that just because the journo that happened to be there at the time had set the lighting up for best effect???

Also, and call me a spotter if you like, but from what I heard / read they were beaten up and thrown from a moving truck. Two comments on this based on the pics:

1. For someone getting a rifle in the family jewels, this chap looks very relaxed and laid back. I know what I'd be doing in his situation - and that's doing my hedghog impression and getting my nuts as far inside my rib cage as possible!

2. Notice the chain in the corner or the wagon just behind the Iraqi? That locks the tail gate in place, but hangs down. It's hanging perfectly still -no movement in it at all. Bit odd for a truck that's supposed to be moving don't you think?

This whole thing stinks. If I'm right, and I hope I am (would even the Queen's Last Resort be this bad? ) the timing of this whole thing is questionable, and funny old thing it's the Daily Mirror yet again with another totally true exclusive about the war. If I'm wrong, then I agree with BEagle - pass the Mess revolver round!

As for the Yanks admitting defeat in Fallujah. No way. I was in Iraq with some of the USMC that are there currently and there's no way they'd give so easily. This is all political. The only way the insurgents will be smoked out in Fallujah is through overwhelming force. However this is becoming politically unacceptable to Bush et al. So the ideal solution - send in the Iraqis, but under the command of an ex-Saddam era General who probably knows a thing or two about use of force and has been hired to do the American's work for them so the US govt can't be seen to have too much blood on their hands.

You think it's bad now - give it a couple of weeks and watch the chaos really begin. Is that the sound of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse I hear approaching???

Edited after being a spotter and having another good look at the pics.

Last edited by CatpainCaveman; 2nd May 2004 at 14:41.