PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Personnel - An Easy Inland Revenue Target? A new conspiracy theory!
Old 1st May 2004, 22:15
unclenelli

Location: Civ/HAL/SHY/FYY/PWK/AAS/WAD/AVI/GPT/BZN/BSN/WAD/BAS/FLK/WIT/MND/WAD/WIT/WAD/Civ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Mileage Tax Refunds

Everyone who's posted about claiming tax on MMA is correct. Here's the situation as far as I'm aware:

I'm an Air Cadet Instructor and claim RAF mileage under GAI5037 which says I'm on duty and am entitled to claim mileage (currently 24.4p/mile)

The IR says I should get 45-ish p/mile and I can claim tax on the difference (20-ish p/mile) FOR THE FIRST 4000 MILES ONLY!!!!
After 4000 miles, the IR says I should get (I forget exactly, but I think it's 36p/mile, but don't quote me) This means that eveyone getting 24.4p/mile should still continue claiming. The reason I mention this is - if anyone is getting 40p/mile for example, from an outside company and claim tax on 4p/mile, after 4000 miles, they start owing IR money at a rate of 4p/mile, until their positive claim reaches zero and keeps falling - IE YOU OWE IR MONEY!!!!!
Try to work out your claim first before claiming, otherwise it might cost youy money!! Thankfully this isn't the case for RAF Personel only getting 24.4p/mile.

Anyway, I fill in F1771's every month (and usually fill all 22 lines!) and claim my mileage from PSF. I make sure that March's F1771 ends just around 31st and gets into PSF immediately to get processed by 5th April (Tax year end). As soon as I get paind that claim, I ask PSF for a F5657 Record of travelling claims.

Once my P60 arrives in May, I write to the RAF Tax Office in Cardiff and claim back the difference in mileage rates.

This tax claim is nothing to do with RAF Wherever (other than providing the F5657), so you have to send off:
The covering letter detailing xxx miles at xxxppm, xxx miles at xxxppm etc for the whole year.
The Original P60 (not a copy)
The F5657 Record of travelling claims

Then just sit back and wait for the cheque to arrive (usually a fortnight after they send you your P60 back)

However, you should note that RAF and IR rules differ on what is a duty journey - Medical, educational, resettlement & sport are not IR Duty journeys!!!

Submitting a claim like this prompts them to check your tax for the whole year which means that they won't pester you for a back-claim as it was the IR themselves that checked your tax, nut Innsworth!!!!