PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chuck is back in a Cat!
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2004, 13:49
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rallye Driver:

It was a real pleasure meeting you at North Weald and I am amazed at the wonderful pictures you posted here..thank you.

I wish to clarify our position with regard to this Cat.

I specalize in training pilots on the Cat and also world wide ferry delivery of these machines, this is the first instance wherein the Edwards Brothers and I have not completed a delivery.

First let me explain that test flying and ferrying aircraft such as this machine in the condition we started on it is a very high risk endeavour and requires experiencied people to safely complete the contract.

I only work with and fly with three other pilot mechanics with regard to the Catalina, they are Mark and Clive Edwards and Phillipe Jay.......

My agreement with the owner of this Cat was plainly understood and given in writing with regard to crewing of this machine.

Several days ago I was given an ultimatium by the owner that as his employee I would follow his orders and he would decide how this machine would be flown and by whom.

I had two choices and they were either I flew with him and his mechanic and follow his orders or he would find another Qualified pilot on the PBY and replace me.

That was a no brainer as I will not fly without my crew for safety reasons...It is out of the question for me to fly a machine such this with two other people that have never been in one before.

I am now back home in Nanaimo B.C. and Mark and Clive are also at home.

As part of my agreement with owners of these aircraft I arrange for very reasonable insurance through Lloyds underwriters based on our past performance of safe mechanical repair and flying of these aircraft.

I have informed my contacts in Lloyds that I have terminated my involvement with this Cat due to safety issues, such as the owner demanding that I overload the airplane with fuel out of North Weald to save him money with the tax drawback.

Now all that remains to be seen is if we get paid for the work and expenses we have put into this project, I am out of pocket about two thousand dollars at this point in time, not to mention what Clive and Mark are owed.

The owner claims that Boeing Aircraft will pay us....

Anyone want to deliver a Cat to Israel? I can give you the contact number as they are looking for a crew.

Chuck Ellsworth

Last edited by Chuck Ellsworth; 1st May 2004 at 14:01.