PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attack on Coventry not a surprise?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2004, 12:52
Tim Mills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooray Blacksheep for getting back to basics. A simple conspiracy theory question has exploded into a critique or otherwise of Bomber Harris and his ideas, moral questions judged with the benefit of 40,50,60 years hindsight, and arguments on the relative capabilities of the Lanc, Halifax and B24.

Like PprunePop, I was at the receiving end during the war, though not in as close proximity as he was, so have memories of how thing were as a youngster at the time. Also, my father was a squadron commander on Wellingtons early in the war, and though he had moved on by the time the real bomber offensive began, I do remember being extremely proud of him, and what he was doing. I don't remember ever talking to him about his views on Bomber Harris, and wish I had. But since he later became CinC of Bomber Command in cold war confrontation times, I think he had a pretty shrewd idea of the real big picture.

Like Blacksheep, I was part of the deterrent force, and naturally hoped that we would not be needed, but prepared to go if required to. Had we had to, if there was anyone left to judge us, no doubt the same old arguments would have emerged in due course.

Wouldn't it be nice if we actually learned from history.

Would love to put the world to rights in a suitable pub, but Pprune is not bad!