PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brisbane Virgin incident - what are the facts?
Old 1st May 2004, 11:39
Four Seven Eleven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brisbane Virgin incident - what are the facts?
Did Dick Smith inadvertently reveal that NAS has been an amateurish cock-up?
You be the judge on the facts.

In starting this thread, Dick Smith purported to defend his defamation of air traffic controllers by citing what he believed to be MATS references supporting his personal ideas of how Class E airspace works. He was spectacularly wrong.

In an embarrassing blunder, Dick Smith quoted MATS references which have absolutely nothing to do with ATC or pilot responsibilities wholly within Class E airspace.

In doing this, Dick Smith has shown that NAS has been implemented in an amateurish manner, with major aspects of Class E operations left out. For one thing, it shows that he has no idea what the procedures actually are in the airspace he believes is so safe.

Then reasons for this are apparent:

In attempting to implement a ‘world-class’ airspace system, as operated safely in the US, John Anderson allowed himself to be swayed by a self-centred, self-interested and dangerous amateur. The result, predictably, has been an unmitigated disaster, with lives and jobs in the aviation industry being risked daily by this shambles. The shambles was predicted by every major organisation representing aviation professionals in Australia. To his discredit, the Minister chose to ignore this advice. The Australian aviation industry and the economy in general will pay the cost for years to come.

The US system does work. It works to a level of safety that is acceptable to the citizens of the United States. US citizens fly happily on their aircraft, knowing that their safety is in the hands of a group of dedicated professionals. In the US, it would be inconceivable that the people responsible for airspace reform programs would be posting such embarrassing mistakes on an internet forum, exposing their system to ridicule around the world. Unfortunately, Australia has to suffer the indignity of Dick Smith making us the laughing stocks of the world. That is what Minister Anderson has subjected us to.

It is incumbent upon all professionals within the aviation industry to ensure that the Minister is made fully aware that his abandonment of air safety will be remembered at the next election.

Dick Smith defamed air traffic controllers by his false claims that there were instructions and training in place which required them to “limit the descent of the Virgin plane until the small plane had passed.”

What Dick Smith said on 4BC was false. He did not tell the truth. He tried to justify this falsehood by quoting the wrong section from MATS. Once again, he did not tell the truth. He has not yet had the courage to admit he is wrong. He obviously realises that his credibility is shot.

It is interesting to note that Dick Smith has not responded to my earlier post pointing out his dangerous and embarrassing error.

Why the silence, Smith? Out of answers again?

Unfortunately for Dick Smith, this thread is merely a symptom of the badly organised, amateurish and downright dangerous farce that is NAS.

He said it: You be the judge on the facts.

PS: I’ll save you the time:
By the way, Four Seven Eleven, if you really believe in what you say you would phone me. (etc., etc., etc., ……..)
Now you can pretend that your lack of any answers is because I, like approximately 70,000 people on these forums, choose to remain anonymous, as is the intent of PPRuNE.

I am sure that no-one will believe for a minute that your silence is because you have no answers. Surely not!