PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GAPAN Scholarships (J N Somers & others) 2004/2005/2206
Old 1st May 2004, 00:47
bazzaman96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just received the letter...and wasn't selected for interview.

Even though the competition was fierce, I was still quite gutted not to get an interview. Looking at my application form I really cannot see what I was lacking to at least get offered an interview.

One cambridge degree, SIX old-style A-levels including Physics (AAAAAB) 11 GCSES, all at A*and A grades...I'm 21 years old and managing director of two very successful non-profit making companies (that I set up completely by myself!), president of the student union, ranked as one of the top eight public speakers of my age in Great Britain I've lived next to Gatwick all my life (an extension on my house would virtually qualify for an airside pass!) and have grown up around aviation, have experienced trial flights so that I know what I'm letting myself in for, I got the highest IPAS aptitude test score for the whole of March, full medical pass... At the risk of sounding more arrogant, in terms of academic success and aptitude tests, I can't see what else I could have done to satisfy the selection panel. My previous application to CTC was good enough to get me an interview (though they told me I couldn't undertake the assessments until I finish my degree)...CTC thought I was good enough for an interview. GAPAN didn't.

As I stated on my application form, I come from a low income background and there is no way that, at present, I can finance any sort of flying training.

All of this isn't me being arrogant - I am humble enough to accept that there are many hundreds more people better than I, who would make much better pilots. I'm just a bit disappointed that of 300 applicants I seemed to comply with exactly the requirements they put down on their application form and I believe my experience to date has been second to none for someone looking to get a ppl.

In a way it's of course pleasing - I am sure that those who were selected fully deserve the chance to go on and I wish them the best of luck! If the competition was so tough I feel reassured that the industry has such able and competent applicants entering it.

I guess it sums up this entire section of the website when I ask: what ARE airlines looking for?!?!?!?

The golden question indeed!

Oh well, better luck next year...