PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Personnel - An Easy Inland Revenue Target? A new conspiracy theory!
Old 1st May 2004, 00:10
CatpainCaveman

Do you chaps realise that you are all eligable for a rebate on your claims for duty journies? And that this rebate is payable retrospectively for 5 years.

In short, every time you do a duty journey and put a claim in, you only get a portion of what you are entitled to as your claim is taxed!!

Go to admin and ask for a print out of all you duty journies for the past 5 years. Go to your local tax office and get a tax rebate form. Marry the 2 up, and in a few months, your average serviceman could have a cheque worth at least a good evening out with the Memsahib or maybe even a dirty weekend away with a loved one. The only (bizarre) exception is that journies made on posting are not eligable for this rebate.

I only found this out after getting a tip-off and then beating my accts clerk to death until she finally admitted to it.

Go to your accts flt - demand back what is rightfully yours! As a few other posts on this thread have suggested, anything work related, you can claim the tax back on it. This even extends to det t-shirts - Terrane offered me a VAT rebate if I could get them a VAT exemption form when I put the det's order in - unfortunately I forgot to pack it on my way to the sand pit.

There are lots of rebates/exemptions, it's just about asking the right person the right question.