PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side-slipping
Thread: Side-slipping
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2004, 16:33
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ooh, side-slipping - Fun! Depending on the aircraft, of course.

I got my PPL on a PA28, and my instructor taught me to side-slip. Have never had any problems, and it can be a very useful technique.

Then I switched to a PA18, and one of my instructors taught my to side-slip properly (doesn't count unless you are using full rudder.... and preferably whilst turning in the opposite direction to that in which you've applied the rudder). Had a go at doing the same in a PA28 once, and it wasn't quite so comfortable as the PA18.

Then had a chance to fly a couple of aircraft like the Great Lakes, Pitts S2B and Tiger Moth where knowing how to side-slip is not just useful (and fun) but pretty much essential.

My Europa is not a nice aircraft to side-slip - it likes to pick up speed, and will very quickly go above Vfe with the flaps down unless you keep an eye on it. I try to practice regularly, but it's not something to do close to the ground unless you're in practice.

And finally there's the C172 - the ones I fly warn against side-slipping with full flaps in the POH, so I've never tried it.

The moral of the story? From my limited experience, it seems to depend very much on the type of aircraft you fly. Some can't do it, some can but only if you're careful or only up to a certain point. Others are brilliant at side-slipping. Definitely something that you should get someone to show you if you fly a suitable aircraft, though, IMHO.

FFF
------------