PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learn to Fly guides...SHOCK!!!
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2004, 09:06
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Defending the good Burghers of Seager Publishing, how often do you learn to fly?

If you wander into WH Smiths or John Menzies, you'll find a stack of guides in magazine format, along the lines of..

- Learn to fly
- Buying your first house
- Getting married
- Your first baby
- Your first car.

etc. etc.

It's hardly reasonable, in my opinion, to expect these (even if they are published in a magazine format) to be new and fresh each year - what's the point?

Even if, say 2 years ago you learned to fly gliders, and this year you have decided to learn to fly helicopters, you've by now got a fair grasp of the mechanics of learning, and the basics of what flying is about and all you really need is a list of schools and their details. This, one trusts, is entirely up to date; but I can't see why it needs reformatting in any way, nor should the general description of what it's like learning to fly a helicopter need to be much different to it was 2, 5 or 10 years ago.

As for the pictures, well presumably the publisher paid for them once, and I can't see how paying for another set of copyright pictures this year is going to improve what is supposed to be an information guide, not entertainment.

G