PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Real" Statistics
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2004, 01:08
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andersons Press Release

NATIONAL AIRSPACE SYSTEM REFORMS CONTINUE
The Government is satisfied with progress and will continue with the implementation of the National Airspace System (NAS) reform programme, the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Transport and Regional Services, John Anderson, said today.

"The recent discussion paper from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) on NAS safety occurrences has shown the number of incidents (as measured through TCAS resolution advisory alerts) has not increased since the introduction of stage 2b of the NAS which began in November last year," Mr Anderson said.

"Normally, when new systems are introduced an increased in incidents occurs. That this has not occurred in the case of the NAS is a credit to the work of the implementation team, air traffic controllers and pilots.

"The Government expects agencies and the aviation industry to learn from operational experience and to enhance the NAS model where required. This is now happening under the direction of Airservices Australia. Importantly, the aviation industry is playing a key role in moving the airspace reform programme forward. I am most appreciative of the assistance being provided by the major airlines and the general aviation sector in preparing for the next round of improvements to Australia's airspace architecture.

"Airservices Australia, the regulatory authority responsible for making changes to airspace, will subject the next steps to rigorous analysis and safety checks. To ensure overall coordination of the process, I have reconstituted the Airspace Reform Group to include the CEO of Airservices, Bernie Smith; the CEO of CASA, Bruce Byron; the Head of the Air Force, Air Vice-Marshall Angus Houston; Dick Smith; and the Secretary of my Department, Ken Matthews.

"The Government recognises that Australia's air traffic controllers, pilots and aviation safety investigators are among the best in the world and are dedicated to ensuring that Australia's skies are among the safest in the world. It is unfortunate that some individuals have chosen to question the integrity of these vital elements of our aviation industry.

"In the same context it is unfortunate that Civil Air (the union representing air traffic controllers) persists with an inaccurate industrial and political campaign.

"The Government remains committed to its airspace reform programme. The aviation agencies will continue to work with the industry toward the goal of establishing a safe, world-class airspace system suited to the 21st Century rather than the 1950s. I call on all parties to work with the Government's aviation agencies and the industry in a constructive manner," Mr Anderson said.

My bolding...