PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM summed up
Thread: CRM summed up
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2004, 15:53
HugMonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no point in looking around the cockpit and saying "thinks - what "resources" haven't I used yet".
Did anyone suggest you did that?
One often hears aficionado's of CRM recounting of the bad old days when captains were perceived as stern unbending characters who sought no opinions from their first officers and were therefore a safety hazard.
Since you admit one often hears such tales, you may conclude that these characters existed and were/are considered a hazard to safety. Draw your own conclusions from there.
Well, these characters may well have existed in some airlines, but I must say that after several decades of military and airline flying in Australia, I was fortunate enough never to have run across such types in the cockpit.
Lucky you. Do you think therefore that nobody else did, either? Or because you never did, CRM is unnecessary? Perhaps (and just consider this) YOU may be one of those characters?
Did they really exist in such numbers as to be the catalyst for the beginning of the cottage industry known as CRM? I doubt it, personally.
In that case, perhaps you should try reading a few more incident reports and having a think about them.

You are also making a big wrong assumption about what CRM is. It is not about telling overbearing captains to wind their necks in. It is about using all resources available to you when the **** hits the fan in order to bring the flight to a successful conclusion. It is not about being polite. It is not about having lots of friends around you with broad smiles. It is not about telling you what to say. It is a method of training to persuade people to open their eyes, remove the blinkers, look around, and allow a lot more information in than some have in the past, to encourage them to use all sources of information, to encourage them to question their own assumptions, to get them to analyse their attitudes, to recognise when they trap themselves in an error chain, to see the limitations imposed by human psychology, by human factors.

The only people I have met who ever thought CRM was a waste of time and that they didn't need it were the people most in need of it.