PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Personnel - An Easy Inland Revenue Target? A new conspiracy theory!
Old 29th Apr 2004, 13:12
The Gorilla

Inter Arma Enim Silentius Lex Legis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Beagle

Couldn't agree more and it was thanks to one of your tips some time ago re the taxing of Pensions that has saved me time, effort and a stack of cash!! Ta!!

If you are a top rate tax payer then you MUST fill in a tax return form yearly. Why? Cos thats the law!! There are other reasons as well, such as moonlighting which generates a second taxable income.

I have had to fill one in every year since 1992 and with the exception of 2001 I have never had any problems other than minor adjustments. 2001 was the year they decided to have a second look at my affairs. Routine they assured me and routine it was. Done and dusted in a few weeks with no changes.

I still have to fill one in now because my pension from the paymaster requires it thus!! I do mine on line with Taxcalc and it takes minutes.

Toppham Hat
I think you will get nowhere with the time outside the country angle. If you could then everyone on 3 year tours in Cyprus would be serving tax free!! If your company pays you from a UK base then you have to pay income tax at source. Might be different if you are permanently resident abroad.

Opso
AIUI if the tax owed by you at the end of the year is<=£1K you can repay the sum owed over the following tax year by a reduced tax code. Happened to me twice when I went up a rank on reserved rights.

The PAYE system in civvy street (my part any way) seems far more flexible than Binnsworth and much quicker to rectify mistookes!! Mind you that's because the nice people in my payroll office are experts at their job and that's all they do!!
Oh and I can speak directly to the person who does my pay and allowances without going through some muppet in handbrake house!!

Regards
TG