PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interview stuff
Thread: Interview stuff
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2004, 07:46
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other unfortunate thing is you don't knowwhat the interviewer is actually trying to get out of you.

Quite alot of the questions about cockpit situations are really quite simple after you have done a couple of years on the line.
I presme they are in there to stress you a bit and get you to start thinking on your feet and as such there is no correct answer but its how you handle being in a flap that they are looking at.

Also what interviewers are looking for in one company may be completely different for another.

What I have always done for all interviews be it Pilot, Engineering or IT contracting is do your home work on what ever company you want to work for. This begins as your writing your CV for that company, keep a set of notes and a log of what ou have told them and when you have applied etc. Then if you get an interview review the CV that you sent them (nothing worse than them asking you a question about information you had forgotten you had put on your CV). As a note it was 5 months after I sent my CV off before I got the phone call for my current job. Phone call on the Monday Interview on the Tuesday started the type rating a week later. Thankfully I had a copy of the CV that I had sent them even though i didn't need it.

Next thing is make sure your tech is up to speed. Some companys will go for technical questions big style and others won't I have heard of people having to do prop theory on a white board.

Then dress smart, polish shoes etc. First impressions do count.

Then be yourself.

The question i found hardest in my interview was " Why should I employ you?"

I gave the usual bull**** and then when I was flagging a bit I said "because I am a nice chap" at which point the interviewer said good thats what we are looking for and launched into what they were going to pay me.

So unless you have inside info about what the interviewer is looking for I wouldn't worry to much about the personal questions they are there to excite you and see how you handle stress. A totally unstressed panned responce will proberly be as much of a no no as a flapping sweating reaction.

You have to remember that all they are looking for is someone who is intelligent enough to pass a type/line rating/training with min training. A medical and Lic. Enough experence to satisfiy their insurance. And some one who isn't going to cause CRM problems every week. Someone that they could see going for a pint and a meal with if you get stuck down route.

MJ