PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it ever right to be an ATCO?
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2004, 07:46
Dan Dare

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a question faced by many people, there being many more who leave school desiring the (perceived) glamour of the flight deck than even considering somethng as down to earth as controlling. Some become ATCOs because the airline recruitment cycle is not in their favour and I could probably name a dozen, who have left to fly when the industry picked up. It is definately an option, and it pays okay while you are waiting or training towards that airline job.

The problems are though:
1) ATC is NOT an easy option that you can just drift in to, its training is generally much longer and more intensive. In order to succeed you really have to enjoy what you are doing (OK then, at least really want to do it).
2) You could find yourself appreciating the benefits of the job and scrub the idea of flying for a living, making it a poor career "stop gap".

I can only echo the sentiments above with benefits of an ATCO career including: better hours; more time off (to fly if you want); stable(ish) roster; more chance to spend time in your own bed; slightly more social hours; less chance of your employer going bust; the list goes on, but I one shouldn't let management think we want to stay, it could harm our side at the negotiating table...

ps FireFoxDown you need a Class One medical for nearly all ATCO work. Sorry.