PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Speed Restrictions FAJS
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2004, 06:55
EltorroLoco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well halleluja!

Someone who also works @ FAJS with something 2 say - good work makeapullup!

Methinx the fish from other stations ought 2 wind their necks back into their bowls when commenting on airspaces they worked when the 1st jet airliner came into service.

The bottom line @ FAJS is that unlike coastal stations, tfc comes in here from all sides with the northern neighbours not passing estimates and the FIR being 20min from the airfield, it's quite likely that a couple of chickens from CT now have to be pushed back in the queue. This doesn't take into account the others departing from FALA who would also like to make use of our fine aerodrome, we are not prejudiced - they all look like little orange dots, no matter who they fly for or what they fly!

The mantra for ATC as it stands is "Safe, orderly and expeditious".
Taking safety as a given, the next goal is orderly. Central tries to give JHB South 20nm in trail with jets to give their buddies a fighting chance. This is irrespective of whatever else is inbound ,i.e from JHB East etc. This is understandable since you can't be expected to sequence your own tfc subject someone else's which you can't even see. JHB South then endeavours to give Radar 15nm in trail for all ac FL160 and above for the same reason. THIS IS WHY YOUR SPEEDS MAY HAVE TO CHANGE FROM SECTOR TO SECTOR. I realise this may not be the ideal, but it's the best we've got so far. You can always fly your own speeds - and my headings, it's all the same to me.

As to the 50% FACT bla bla - The stats from last years annual report says FAJS works 70% of the country's traffic, so methinx the other stations can back off accordingly.

On the subject of more info on frequency, methinx there is time for it, but with Say Again Airways so busy making one say everything twice and the requests for direct and 03L etc, it kinda tries your patience. Let's be honest dudes, most of your requests can be filed in the "No sh1t" box anyway.

I've found that most pilots have an attention span of about 10sec, which means "Get to the point - we're busy here". No-one enjoys a KC K*Kpraat giving tfc info about every ac within 20 miles which has no relevance whatsoever, clogging up the frequency and reducing the capacity of the airspace.

Now as to the landing runway - there is only one - the eastern one unless otherwise allocated by the tower controller. This is done for traffic (to help radar out with a busy sequence) or for runway inspections. That's how it is, like it or not - and it's generally given to the guys with their necks securely wound in!

That's enough now, enjoy your flight - whether it's direct-no-speeds or holds galore, at least you know you will probably get to do it again tomorrow!