PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it ever right to be an ATCO?
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2004, 22:34
niknak
niknak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put it into perspective.

The majority of ATC units work 2 hours on, minimum of 30 mins/often 1 hour off, you can't do that on the majority of commercial aircraft operations.

ATC is a stressful job, but the stress ends when you walk out the door after a shift, not many pilots can honestly say that.

Pilots earn more than ATCOs - yes, in the majority of cases they do, but by god they work very hard for it, report in 1 to 2 hours before take off, a working day of 8 -13 hours, and also working the type of standby duties which are very rarely found in the ATC world.

Stability of employment - airline loses contract, airline dispenses with pilots, airport loses a service - airports very rarely make atcos redundant, it's not in their interests to do so, as re recruiting atcos is a very long and expensive process.

ATCOs wishing they were on the flight deck? I don' t think so!
the few ATCOs who are also qualified pilots mostly have 2nd jobs as pilots anway, a nice little earner on the side, but I can honestly say I've never met an ATCO whos is jealous of the "glamour" of the commercial pilot.

Most of us are quite happy where we are thank you.